Groceries
- Old Brooksville
- Aug 16
- 6 min read
Updated: Aug 19

This issue features a brief history of local grocery stores. Grocery stores thave always been a vital part of the city. We have documentation of them as far back as 1885. Some of them are legendary and stood the test of time: Carlton's, Maillis, Publix, A&P, etc. Others are long forgotten. There is so much to offer with these rare photos and information. The advertisements are fascinating as well. Check out the prices. We hope you enjoy this savory and historic issue.
Stories by Robert Martinez
We would like to thank those who contributed to this issue
Lou Charity
John White
Jeff Miller
Linda Wallen Woodside
University of Florida
History of Grocers
One thing is universal and constant throughout centuries, social or cultural changes, the age of inventions and enlightenment, wars, revolutions, styles, art, music, sports, love, hate, politics and social castes ... People Gotta Eat! The early days of Brooksville (1840 - 1885) had only a smattering of grocers. Many folks grew their own fruits and vegetables. Meat markets took care of beef, chicken, pork and seafood. Some resorted to hunting and fishing or having hogs and chickens to provide food for their families in rural areas. There are no records prior to 1885, but on the following pages we will feature those stores documented from 1885 on. Drug stores and general stores also provided may needs sold today by larger grocers like Publix. There were also many small stores out of town that were like today's convenience stores.

The earliest found ad for a Brooksville grocer is this 1885 ad for A.N. Shelf or Chelf. A. Chelf had a grocery store for many years in downtown Brooksville. This ad appears to have misspelled his name. Notice it says "Call and Examine" urging people to come visit in person and look over the merchandise.

The oldest photo of a Brooksville grocery store is the Chelf Grocery/Hardware store (1886) on Main Street about where the Browning Insurance building is today.

1906 ad for Mickler's Grocery on South Main

1908 ad for the OK Grocery/Meat Market on Main across the street from the court house.
***
List of Early Grocers
1885 - A.N. Chelf Grocery on the corner of Main and Broad (about where the Browning Insurance building is now). Pappy Jordan's Grocery is on Broad Street between Main and Brooksville Avenue.
1890 - There are two adjacent grocers on North Main, on the west side of the street.
1895 - Five grocers are now in the city. The same two on the west side of North Main and three other grocers between Jefferson and Broad on Main across from the court house.
1901 - A grocer is on the corner of Ft. Dade and Main Street, another one is down the street on the west side of North Main, another directly across the street. Pappy Jordan's Grocery is on Broad Street next to the Jennings Building. There is also one on the corner of Liberty and South Main where the Lowman law office is today.
1906 - Three grocers in the city. Ft. Dade and Main, Pappy Jordan's on Broad and another on Main and Liberty.
1911 - Two grocers on the west side of North Main, two grocers (including Coogler's Grocery) across the street. Pappy Jordan's on Broad and Lanier's Grocery on the corner of Liberty and Main where the Mason law office is.
1917 - Coogler Grocery on North Main. Another on South Main. Lanier's on Liberty Street and The Pantry on Liberty and Man.
1924 - Two on North Main (Coogler's is one), another on Main between Jefferson and Broad, The Pantry on Main and Liberty and Lanier's Grocery on Liberty Street.
***

Inside Pappy Jordan's Grocery on Broad Street, next door to the Jennings Building. In business from 1900 until it burned down in 1914. The man seated is former sheriff, William "Hopp" Smith. Hopp Smith was sheriff from 1868 - 1870.

Very rare photograph of the Lanier Bros. Grocery (1912). On the corner of Liberty and Main where the Mason Law Office is today.
***
More Old Grocers
Pappy Jordan's Grocery - Located adjacent to the Jennings Building on Broad Street. Open from 1900 until it burned down in 1914.
White Cash Store - Located on North Main from around 1910 until the 1920s.
Lanier Bros. Grocery - Located on Liberty Street where the Mason law office is today from 1912 to about 1925.
J.V. Tidwell Grocer - On South Main 1923 - 25.
Rickerson's Grocery - On East Broad from 1922 - 1934.
Allen's Cash & Carry - West Jefferson Street - 1922 to 1932. Owned by Mrs. Emily Allen, then later run by her son, John Henry Allen.
The Pantry - Opened in 1917 through the 1920s. Corner of Liberty and Main.
Ayre's Grocery & Meat Market - Corner of Liberty and Brooksville Avenue from 1928 to 1933 catty corner from the Johnston Law Office.
Maillis Grocery - Begun in 1923 and was a mainstay downtown for 50 years until the early 1970s. Located inside the Jennings Building, they were the first grocer to offer free delivery and have a telephone. Their number was 9. It was the first complete grocery store to offer both a meat market as well as dry good groceries. They also had The Greek Market on the side of the building that would later be Johnnie's Bar.
A & P Grocers - Opened around 1929, A & P (short for Atlantic & Pacific) was the first national chain food market in the city. They were known for their coffee and the first to feature big ads. It was located on North Main next to Weeks Hardware. In 1959 it moved to South Main Street, just south of where The Bistro is today.
All American Thrift Groceries - Began in 1928 on South Main where The Bistro is today. Publix bought them all out in 1945 and in 1950 built a new Publix on N. Brooksville Avenue.
***

White Cash Store (1915) was where Weeks Hardware was on Main Street. Notice the horse in the center rear of the store. It belonged to A. Ramsey, a local postmaster who would deliver groceries on horseback to customers as well.

The Pantry Grocery (1917) at the corner of Liberty and Main was in business through the 1920s. It was later a printing business. The building is now Panbanged Knits and Fiber Shoppe.

Allen's Cash and Carry (1927). Originally began in 1922 by Mrs. Emily Allen on W. Jefferson. In this photograph is son, John Henry Allen (left).

1929 ad for Maillis Grocery. Notice the phone number. Maillis Grocery was inside the Jennings Building. It operated here from 1925 until the 1970s.

Inside the Maillis Grocery (1935). The most popular grocer in the city at that time. Began in 1923 and in operation inside the Jennings Building for over 50 years. George Maillis, owner, is on the right.

The City Market (1935) was a very popular meat market on Main, between Broad and Jefferson. In operation from 1928 to 1958, it was owned by J.D. Springstead.

1930 Brooksville ad for The City Market

The Economy Market (1935) on Main Street next to what is now The Browning Building. The front was really a facade which led to an open air market with fresh local produce, vegetables and dairy products. All fresh from the farms. It was owned by a Mr. Chapman.

The first Brooksville Publix opened in 1950 on North Brooksville Avenue. It was at this location until 1965, then occupied by B. L. Gause Clothing.

Photo of Publix on North Brooksville Avenue taken in 1958 by 13-year old Robert Martinez

Hernando Plaza, seen here in 1970 was build in 1965. The new Publix (far right) opened on October 28, 1965 and was a this location until 1987, when it moved to another shopping center just east of the current location, Brooksville Square, where it's been since 2006.
Take a trip to the supermarket with Mom (1962)

Inside Carlton's Suprex Market (1957)

Carlton's Suprex Market (1968) was a very popular grocery store/meat market for 50 years (1947-1997). Just one block from Main on Broad.

Folks from Brooksville who lived near Ft. Dade Avenue just west of US 98 have many fond memories of Koon's Super Market (seen here in 1953) during the 40s and 50s. It served as the go to store for those in this area as a full super market until 1957. The building was later occupied by Ward's Furniture and Brooksville Glass and Mirror.

The A&P Supermarket (1938) on North Broad Street. A&P was a famous nationally known supermarket from the 1920s through the 1960s.

The old A&P Store, a popular grocery chain. This Brooksville store (1958) was located on North Main, next to Weeks Hardware from 1928 until 1959 when it relocated to South Main before Liberty Street. The store faded away in the late 60s.

1959 ad announcing the new location of A&P Grocery Store. It had moved from North Main where it had been since 1928 to South Main where the Homan Real Estate office is today.

Kwik Chek (1965) in Brook Plaza




Comments